Friday, June 24, 2011

Savory Cookies for ICC

Savory Cookies by Bombay Foodie

You must have noticed that I haven't been participating in many events lately. No taste & create, and no daring bakers challenges for months now. It's not that I don't want to - I just seem to have a to-do list so long I never get around to doing any challenge in time.

But I do snap out of this laziness for some special ones. Like last month's Indian Cooking Challenge. Srivalli picked khara biscuits or savory cookies from Karnataka's famous Iyengar bakery. I told her there was no way I was staying away from ICC's first baking challenge.

There's another reason too. I am still searching for a good savory cookie or a cracker recipe. Nothing I've baked so far comes anywhere near my concept of what these cookies should be.

So it might be ten days late, but I finally have the khara biscuits for you. Instead of the chillies and herbs in the original recipe, I made my cookies with cumin seeds and some fresh ground pepper.

Interesting flavors, but still not the crunchy cookie I am looking for. The search continues...

5 comments:

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

Simran they look great dear and great substitutes too for cilantro and chili :)

Curry Leaf said...

Yumm O :). Love the flavour. I too plan to try them out

Srivalli said...

Simmi, the cumin and pepper addins sound so great..Well I recently tasted a savory biscuit from the road side tea stall, which was delicious. I wonder if I could replicate that at home too..:)..so glad you tried this out..yes we can't miss out the firsts right..:)

CynicalOxymoron™ said...

Yummy read!! Spicy cookies is def on my to-do list! BTW check out this link http://www.spiritzandmore.com/outlet-reviews
You win great prizes for writing about ur fav hangouts in here! Don't treat it like spam, I am jus spreading the good word.
Happy Blogging!

Purabi Naha said...

These savory cookies are looking delishh! I can have them day and night!! Great blog!!